Wednesday, 11 February 2015

No, I dont have two beautiful Girls!

No, I don’t have two beautiful Girls!

Why is it so important to people that my beautiful, intelligent, funny, talkative four year boy fit into the norm, of the short back and sides.  There isn’t a week that goes by that my son doesn’t get called a girl.  It just cannot be a case of mistaken identity as while he may have amazing long red hair he still dresses like a “boy”.  Dark runners or blue wellies, a monster coat, jeans and his t-shirts are usual some sort of super hero or prehistoric animal. 


When I correct the person and say “no he’s a boy”, the things that have being said to me just get better every time; ‘oh you usually only see girls with red hair, oh really, it’s the hair, sure it so hard to tell these days’. Just typing those few is boiling my blood, it shouldn’t matter so much that I don’t cut my sons hair.  It gives him character it looks brilliant on him and while his hair doesn’t make him it just adds to his character.
We live in a world were different is still frowned upon, no strike that it’s the country we live in, Ireland is still full of the crowd followers the hush hushes what will the neighbours say?  So my boy has long hair until he tells me he wants to cut it, it stays.  We had the conversation last week, but he told me he likes his hair and that John (his uncle) has long hair, so he not cutting his hair.  Why did the topic of cutting his hair come up someone had said it to him about having long hair, he’s four butt out world let kids be kids express themselves, long, short, red, blue, yellow hair does it matter, no!  As long as the child is happy, fed, watered and loved.
I don’t have two beautiful girls, I have one beautiful boy and one beautiful girl.




Just as I sat down to type this I came across this video Little girl cuts long gorgeous hair, why? it brought tears to my eyes, it made me thankful for my children, and the little girl in the video is so special.  There is a message in this to all those who look for the norm and judge me and my child.  Hair is hair but to some it is life or death and can mean a lot, be thankful for what you have get on with life and keep your comments to yourself.