Thursday, 18 June 2015

A letter . . .

To my fellow Irish Girl Guides, (IGG)


"giving girls confidence",  no truer words could be said for me, this time last year I headed up to a Ladybird meeting to become a leader.  I was so apprehensive, scared, nervous to name a few emotions, but an old friend and fellow girl guide and ranger had convinced me to come back into IGG, the amazing Ms Siobhan.    A year on and I am so happy to be back in the swing of IGG taking up my post as "rainbow" and at the at the moment camp helper.

I have had post natal depression since the birth of my little girl over two years now and this time last year leaving the house was a mammoth task for me, I would find any excuse not to go places be it with my family or friends.  When I did go up town I'd hide behind the buggy do what I had to do and I'd never go up alone, I would always make sure I had someone with me.  Once my husband was at home I would go upstairs alot and just lie in the bed. If I wasn't doing that I would probably be arguing with myself or my husband over nothing, as most days I would cry for no reasons while still trying to be a mammy to two little ones and do all the Mammy things I should be doing.  Most days I'd hold it together till my husband would come home then I would just crash, I would hit my wall, some times literally!  I am still being treated for Post Natal Depression and my story has so much more to it than this I am just giving you a snippet here.  In time I'll write my full story but for now I still find it difficult.

But thanks to IGG and true friends like Siobhan, Stephanie (for giving me the nudge to go for it)  and all my IGG ladies a year on I now go to a Ladybird meeting every week which I plan and carry out together with my fellow leaders.  My ladybirds make me smile every week they are so polite and funny, when we make buns or cookies one Ladybird says to me "I'll give you the tea but not the bun", love it.  At the beginning of the year I took part in the Free Being Me training and then for six weeks I went to the local Guiding Branch to bring the girls through the course.  I was made feel so welcome by the girls and leaders, some of whom where my leaders back in the days!  I now no longer fear leaving the house I even walked the St Patrick's Parade, secretly I was bricking it but with the IGG gang all around I was fine.





Many people think IGG is all about badges and flags and learning off stuff it's not!  I've gone through the ranks from Brownies all the way to Rangers, (now Senior Branch) and now I'm a leader and who knows what in the future.  The Irish Girl Guides both as a young girl and a women has made me and helped me to be the person I am today.